Taking a stand
As well as a frankly astonishing range of speakers (of which more
Computing also features a characteristically off-kilter selection of exhibitors,
in many cases inviting you to purchase their wares at substantial savings.
In loosely alphabetical order, we can now reveal them to include:
- compilation of newsgroup-written cyberpunk short stories
Black Ice magazine
- Brighton's famed mid-'90s cyberzine at last reaches issue 4
- shop and information centre for artists' books and presses - "for the aesthetically and bibliographically curious".
- model for Reality TV based on real issues: culture, conflict, drugs, religion, art
The British Go Association
- ancient board game and origin of the word "Atari"
The Campaign for Digital Rights
- fighting draconian copy-protection measures and legislation in the UK
- CDs of original and remixed Commodore game themes
The Classic Amiga Preservation Society
- saving the likes of SWIV and Alien Breed 2 for future generations
The Commodore 64 Underground
- compilation of C64 demos, mostly showing in the bar
- London's local wireless networking whizzes
Copenhagen Free University
- domestic, mutating, autonomous institution asking what an aesthetics for life in the knowledge economy might be
Cybernetic Culture Research Unit
- international collective of hyperculture researchers producing "pulp theory/fiction hybrids"
Datacide & Wolverine
- thrashing theory zines
- countercultural zines and geegaws from the UK's foremost Kinder Egg collector
- custom-made table-top MAME arcade machines
- artists and musicians dedicated to "doing strange things with electricity"
Electronic Frontier Foundation
- pioneering US pro-freedom organisation
- artist, taxidermist, pizza chef and saviour of obsolete electronic devices
- London-based dance music webcasters coming out of Brick Lane
I Will Do Anything to Get Girls into My Bedroom
- video distribution network for women
- spoof newspaper site hosting this year's "Comedy Zone"
- grassroots, non-corporate, non-commercial coverage of important social and political issues - UK node
- artists' collective and producers of the Inventory journal. Also known to pursue human "Coagulum" and "Endless Sonic Mania"
Linux Install Day
- have Linux installed (or your questions answered) by experts from London Linux User Group
- net art project locator
- local group for "computer security enthusiasts" of all kinds
MA RAVE XR
- digital media MA group from Ravensbourne College
Media Arts Projects
- agency working on collaborations, research, and organisation of projects connected to media, art and technology
Music to Communicate
- bespoke music composers
Nina Pope and Karen Guthrie
- collaborating since 1995 using new technologies, video, installation, performance and broadcast media including webcasting
- official Sony port of Linux to the popular next-gen games console
The Redundant Technology Initiative
- pro-Linux PC recyclers from Sheffield
- irreverent tech news behemoth
Shu Lea Chang
- artist and filmmaker, creator of - among others - "IKU" and "Brandon"
- Sir Clive-endorsed guide to "every single Sinclair product ever"
- a bunch of slackers
- no-holds-barred anarchists who have declared war on the capitalist design and control of public and private space
- text to speech heaven - "Serving up delicious helpings of spam each hour of every day to all who are hungry"
- monthly films and talks from the fringes of contemporary culture
Stu's World Of Pocketeers
- swap or buy mechanical handhelds with former Amiga Power videogame champ
Street Level Gallery
- Glaswegian exhibition and education space for photomedia
Thomson & Craighead
- commemorative web-browser tea-towels from the digital artist duo
- a roughly biannual magazine of cross-currents in culture
- head-mounted wireless internet connectivity that fits in your pocket
Year Zero + friends
- documentary film makers and social researchers dissecting the cultural Gordian knot known as "Regeneration"
Final programme may be subject to alteration blah blah blah blah blah.
- videos and brochures from the BBC Micro-using artificial-life artist